Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Homily for Wednesday of the 26th Week of Ordinary Time the Memorial of St. Jerome

How many times have we said to ourselves, “Lord, I will follow you wherever you go?” This morning when he extended the invitation to one of the disciples to follow him the disciple replied, “Lord, let me go first and bury by father.” How did the Lord respond? He said, “Let the dead bury their dead.” Very interesting! Is our Lord being heartless to a disciple who just lost his father? The answer is no.
It is fitting we speak this morning on interpretation of Sacred Scripture as we commemorate the memorial of St. Jerome patron Saint for those who study the Sacred Scriptures. He is well known for translating the Bible into the Latin vulgate. Here is where those who take a literal view on scripture need to be careful. This has nothing to do with the idea of burying the dead. As another disciple said following the first, “I will follow you, Lord, but first let me say farewell to my family at home.” The idea the Lord is trying to get across to us this morning is this habit of ours of making excuses. We all do it! When Jesus invites us to follow him, we often make excuses ourselves. Lord, I will get to that later. When dealing with a particular sin this is many times our attitude I’ll confess that later I have plenty of time. The problem is we don’t know exactly what time we have. As we go about our busy lives let us ask for the grace to never make excuses when it comes to following the Lord.